October 28, 2011

My Regrets to Ron Perlman . . .

Every year, I carve a pumpkin.  I seriously look forward to it every year.  Unfortunately, this year I had surgery at the beginning of October so I've been "out of it" so to speak.  So, when I carved this pumpkin, I was not only "out of it" but I was in a fog of pain killers and well, pain.  Can you tell I'm giving all kinds of excuses for my less than stellar pumpkin?  I guess I'll never top my Sweeney Todd pumpkin.  Maybe I should just carve Johnny Depp from now on . . .  Sorry, Ron Perlman.  Sorry I failed you and your lion-esque jaw.  (Hangs head in shame)


This year I got some new tools: wood carving knives.  I've used pottery tools in the past.  Pottery tools require a pulling motion, whereas wood carving knives are pushed.  It was different, but I liked it.  The tools where much sharper and I got work done much faster.  I got this set at Hobby Lobby for $8.99 + a 40% off coupon . . . you do the math.  I don't wanna.

The tools.

I adore both the Hellboy movies and I've been wanting to carve Hellboy for a couple of years now.  Here's my inspiration photo:

The inspiration.

I pride myself on the fact that I don't use stencils and never have.  I simply sketch directly on the pumpkin, using a magic marker.  If I make a mistake, I wipe it away with a damp rag.  Then, I go over it all with an orange or red Sharpie.  That way, the lines don't show on the finished pumpkin.

Sketching . . .

More sketching . . .

The carving.

Again, I was in a hydrocodone haze so I really focused on the smaller shapes rather than the whole picture.  It came out okay, but not as I had hoped.  Sigh.  And, I managed to cut way too big of a hole in the bottom so some light is peeking out.  Double sigh.  There's always next year . . . 



No comments: