February 4, 2011

Year of the Rabbit

Yesterday marked the beginning of the Chinese New Year. 2011 is the Year of the Rabbit. Even though I was born in a Dog year, I've always been partial to rabbits. As a child, I collected rabbit everything. At one point, I remember having over 40 different rabbit dolls!

I had a baby shower to attend last weekend and what better theme for my gift than a rabbit for a baby being born in the year of the rabbit? I put this little bag together with things I already had around the house.


For the gift bag, I used a brown craft bag. I got out an old rabbit cookie cutter and traced it onto a piece of pink felt. I cut it out and cut out a little heart in the middle. Then I hot glued it to the bag.

I got the idea for the paint chip tag from this month's Country Living. Instead of stamps, I used some S.E.I. chipboard letters and hot glued them to the paint chip.


For the card, I used some KI Memories paper, American Crafts chipboard frame and a Martha Stewart felt bunny sticker (that little sticker was my inspiration for the whole theme!). I glued the brown striped paper onto a 3 x 4.5 inch white cardstock card. Then, I traced the inside of the chipboard frame on a white sheet of cardstock and cut out a circle slightly larger than the one I traced. Next, I painted the chipboard pink. Tip: Consider buying white chipboard shapes instead of patterned or colored. That way, you can paint them whatever color you want. It saves a lot of money and makes your projects more unique. I glued the pink frame to the white circle, then glued that to the card. Finally, I put the pink bunny sticker in the middle of the frame. I also sewed the edge of the card with pink thread in a zigzag stitch for a finishing touch.

Even though this was a simple project I really liked how it came out. I tend to go overboard so this was a nice reminder to keep it simple. The bag and card were a hit a hit at the shower.

Next week, I have a HUGE announcement! I have a new set of items coming to my shop. If you like my book purses, you'll love these new babies! I'm really excited to share them . . . so stay tuned!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Ooh, I can't wait to see what your new items are!

Casey said...

I love this project and your bunny image is adorable! And I agree simple is beautiful, especially for a baby!