She told me that she loved stripes and the colors red, yellow and blue . . . a perfect palette for a children's book, in my opinion. I came across dozens of striped fabrics but they didn't quite fit the book. Finally, I found this fabric on Etsy. The reason I chose this fabric was because the stripes were a bit wavy and looked like saturated watercolors. The pictures in the book are all watercolors and so I thought the style of the fabric matched the cover.
I always try to do something unique for the button clasp on all my purses. I struggled for awhile with this purse. I thought of doing a button that resembled a ball, but that was too plain. Finally, as I was looking at the dust jacket I realized something. The jacket cover featured a Moonbeam Children's Book Awards seal on it . . . but the seal wasn't on the actual book. So I cut out the seal and mounted it on a piece of wood. I painted the wood gold and added a strip of gold adhesive beads along the edge to jazz it up. Several ModPodge coats later, I had this:
I'm really happy how it came out! That award is a big deal so I'm glad I was able to showcase it on the purse.
Thanks so much for trusting me, Genevieve! Enjoy it!